This week I got an amazing email from one of my dear Big Shift Coaching program clients who said that she loves the way I talk about marketing. She said that I made it sound so simple and intuitive so that she can immediately ‘get it’.
With that email emerged a desire in me to share with you how I went from being the poster child of marketing resistance to being a huge fan of marketing.
That change in attitude has helped me create a very successful business and made marketing feel easy for me.
And since that’s exactly what I want for you, I thought I’d share a few thoughts.
First of all, even though I love marketing, I never think about it as marketing.
This is how I do think about it:
- How do I get to know the people I am meant to serve in a deep and intimate way?
- What is it I can do to help them, in a way that I am going to enjoy and that will make a difference to them?
- How do I verbalize it in a way that’s simple for my clients to understand?
Marketing is not ‘How do I get people to hire me or buy my stuff?’ Marketing is the ultimate act of service, where I get to teach, inspire and share who I am with the world.
What if you knew that you could freely give to as many people as possible because you knew that some of those people are going to be more than happy to hire you.
Now your job becomes two-fold, figure out what cool things you can share with people, and find more and more people to share it with.
Here are some ideas where you could start:
- Brainstorm 10-20 things you can do to help your clients and potential clients get the results they need
- Take your favorite of those ideas and turn it into a gift to your potential client, this could be an ebook, a blog post, a webinar, a poem, a singing video, a game, a manifesto.. (let your imagination run wild)
- Give that gift out freely to as many people as possible
- Make sure you make it easy for the recipients of those free gifts to contact and to hire you
Marketing can be that simple and all it requires of you is a desire to serve and a propensity to want to give freely of your gifts and talents.
How will you approach marketing today?
Let me know by leaving a comment below.